PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 23:30
blackhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This provides me with the opportunity to compliment italia458 on an excellent analogy with the bolt and the wrench.
Hopefully you are being satirical, as a mechanic I can tell you that his analagy is wrong.
The amount of "force" needed to overcome the friction and torque to "break" the bolt is considerable, perhaps why limp wristed theorists don't actually "work"
@ oggers
Once more into the breach my friend.
Let's assume it takes 100 Newtons of force to overcome the force of gravity on the box. So increasing the force of your hand on the box all the way to 100 Newtons will essentially transfer the weight (mass x gravity) of the box to your hand. At the point where you are applying 100 Newtons of force, the box still hasn't moved. Work = force x distance. Therefore, no work has been done on the box. If no work has been done on the box, then power equals zero. Power = work / time.
Are you saying that if a force is applied to an object that is less than that required to move it, then no work has been done. You must see intuitively that this is a false argument.

Last edited by blackhand; 29th Mar 2012 at 23:43.