PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain 'subdued' aboard JetBlue flight
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 17:51
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
42 years later, I still have all the paperwork for that flight - I had it in my hand when I was told to, "Stop! - you'll have to get yourself a QC, and say these things in high court if you want to talk about a captain like that."
Decades later and across the pond things are quite different. The wacko cowboys who used to be tolerated by the airline are pretty much a thing of the past in U.S. flying from my observation. The Sky God captain concept is long gone and the PIC is more of a CYA manager and whipping boy (or girl).

Since the Buffalo commuter crash a few years ago, the feds seem to be coming down on those few folks who never passed their checkrides on the first try and were given endless training. Also, the 'loose cannons' and eccentrics are now under the microscope regardless of their seniority or seat.

A couple of examples of how these folks were tolerated in the past is contained in the accident reports for FedEx 705, the 1994 hijacking and FedEx 647 in 2003, one of the MEM landing accidents. Auburn Calloway, the hijacker, had exhibited bizzare behavior and had a very poor civilian and military employment record prior to joining FedEx. The FO on FDX 647 had a dismal training history and a couple of FAA 609 (now 709) rides prior to being hired and continued training difficulties after employment.

In the past, a small handful of these folks would be carried and both the company and the union would look the other way as they continuously failed training, missed trips and had issues with coworkers.

Recently things seem to be changing. The feds are busting folks who have been captains for years and could only seem pass their checkrides after several extra sims and with the 'right' evaluator. Folks who act oddly are more likely to be approached by the union's professional standards committee to see if they need help or time off. However, as mentioned on another post, if a male pilot chooses to sometimes wear women's clothes it must now be considered 'normal' since it is a 'gender identity issue'.

regarding seling the diet milkshakes...

did it occur to any of you that he was using the product himself and somehow got a very low blood sugar causing this odd behavior? an aviation medical examiner from Chicago suggested that low blood sugar could cause this sort of behavior
Some of the pilots where I work are peddling this 'miracle supplement' and selling shares in some related bogus marketing and lifestyle coaching scheme. I also wonder if Captain Osborn may have fallen for his own BS and hit the supplement too hard. A few years ago a pilot that I know was very confused and combative in the crew lounge for a while after waking up from an Ambien fueled jetlag nap.

Years ago pilots were selling some super noni juice that was a miracle cure for what ails you. Before that they were selling shares in some tax church that was a great deal until they got sent to prison.

In UK people can be detained under the Mental Health Act - is there nothing similar in the USA?
Mental health holds vary by state - don't think there's a federal provision. In California it used to be section 5150, Florida has the Baker Act. But it's generally only a short hold - whatever is in the statute, 72 hours or so. Texas has a provision for brief psychiatric emergency holds, but I'm not sure for how long. And it can involve court hearings, medication administration, etc. In the case of a federal crime, a federal criminal complaint is faster and simpler.
Trying to get someone who is obviously sick hospitalized against their will can be incredibly difficult in the U.S. In Georgia there is a 10-13 hold which can be extended a few days to a 10-15 involuntary hospitalization. But, unless the person is charged with a crime or is observed by a threat or overt act to be a danger to themselves or others, the police will do nothing to help keep the person in the hospital even with family approval and doctor's orders. The patient has the 'right' to leave the hospital and wander off into the streets in a manic state leaving the distraught family to wait for the next call from the cops or the coroner.