PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 16:20
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oggers... I'm done dealing with this. You're going to have to figure this out on your own. Or just be happy with your answer knowing that all these textbooks say that you're wrong. I could derive the equations to show you how they got to Power = thrust x airspeed but it's not worth it because you'll just say that I'm wrong!

It seems like Harold decided to recant his post and I couldn't care if 10000 people had the same point of view, it doesn't mean that they're correct!

You're just the same as people who are told one thing in a somewhat convincing manner and believe it like a religion even in the face of clear evidence showing that what they were initial taught is wrong. Are you going to tell me now that all the forces in a turn are balanced, like so many books and instructors teach it? You haven't addressed ANY of the evidence that I've shown you that says you're wrong. So why don't you take the time now to write a little blurb and tell the US Navy that they don't know what they're talking about and write to William Kershner and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'd be happy to go into detail on these matters for someone who was interested in learning about why they say Power = thrust x airspeed. But considering our interaction so far, I think I'll pass.

Edit: This is the nice teacher in me coming out: You said you were a transmission design engineer. I think your misunderstanding of this is coming from that. When sitting stationary on the runway with full throttle, you're creating tons of thrust. You can ask where that's coming from and I'd say it's coming from the torque of the engine and the RPM of the crankshaft which is turning the propeller.... which is power. Since the engine is able to turn the crankshaft, it's creating power... if the RPM was zero, it would be zero power, even though there might be lots of torque. Imagine yourself turning a bolt with a wrench, when you apply a lot of torque to the wrench and it doesn't move, there is no work being done. When the bolt finally starts to move, then you start doing work and your boss will agree with you! Even though you will tell your boss that you've been 'working' on the bolt all day and it hasn't moved, your boss will yell at you and correctly tell you that you've done zero work! Back to the airplane... so to get that thrust we need power from somewhere and its coming from the engine. That power is termed BHP or SHP. But I can create 10000 BHP on my engine and go nowhere! Even though I've actually been moving pistons up and down in the engine and doing lots of work there, I've done no work on the vehicle because it hasn't moved! And that's what we're talking about when we say THP. We're talking about the 'work' that the thrust does and that relates to aircraft performance. So if we create a lot of thrust but we don't move, we are not creating any THP. Thrust/THP and Torque/BHP(SHP) are separate concepts.

Last edited by italia458; 28th Mar 2012 at 16:34.