PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Airports - Liverpool?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 21:14
Anansis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since Easyjet pulled their Luton route, rail connections between the two cities have improved dramatically. The introduction of hourly Pendolino trains slashed travel times between city centres from 2hrs45 to around 2hrs15. Combined with enhanced airport security post 2001, budget airlines can no longer compete with rail on speed alone. As walk up rail fares are £75 return (off peak), I doubt they'd be able to compete on cost either.

Could Liverpool court Lufthansa to begin a Heathrow rotation? KLM are pulling their Amsterdam route soon. This is currently Liverpools only full service/ interlining connection. It allowed them to boast of hundreds of international destinations which will soon be lost. Losing KLM is a big blow and I suspect that they will want to replace them ASAP. A LPL-LHR route would maintain links to the North West for Star Alliance partners based at Heathrow once the divorce from BMI is finalised. Unlikely I know but a possibility?

Perhaps operators were concerned about their air frames being left on bricks with their undercarriages removed
30 year old cliches eh!? Someone's witty and on the ball!

Last edited by Anansis; 23rd Mar 2012 at 21:35.