PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (Do away with) Seniority
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 14:13
CelticRambler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Private Pile
I'm not aware of any other industry where experience and qualifications aren't wholly transferable. The thought of a marketing manager taking a 60% pay cut and downgraded to a trainee just to change the company he/she works for is laughable... it would never happen.
Unfortunately, here on terra-firma, it most certainly is happening with "highly experienced" personnel of all kinds taking 60%+ cuts and radically different T&Cs just to keep off the unemployment register.

I was discussing this recently with someone from general HR and the current thinking is "we don't want someone with 'experience' because the game has changed. If you've been twenty years in the job, you're so going to be so out of touch you'll be no better than a trainee. Maybe worse."

One employer even went so far as to say that they won't take graduates because their industry changes so fast, those guys are getting degrees on the back of obsolete teaching.

Compared to agriculture, banking, politics and general manufacturing, the aviation industry is still in its infancy and probably due for a dramatic lurch in a new direction pretty soon. I wouldn't worry about making long-term career plans on the basis of today's practices.