PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meeting Virgin Blue Minimums
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2002, 10:26
Zone 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping to elicit some serious comment from someone working at DJ about how they feel the company has handled some pretty phenominal expansion, so your two posts sure aren't contributing much....

It's a sad fact that on this forum sometimes the art of subtly is lost, so I'll spell it out:

Throughout this thread there has a been a lot of comment about how DJ "should" hire the guys with the most experience. Is that the only criteria that should be considered? I've flown (military, avmed and airlines) with some 15,000 hour guys who really only had 15 x 1000 hours, and some "young turks" with just a fraction of that who were as sharp as razors. To quote Kelly McGillis "it takes a lot more than just fancy flying." So what "should" DJ do? I think it's a bit rich to say they are making a mistake if they don't prioritise the criteria that such and such wants them to. I've flown with a few of the young guys they've hired (and promoted) and while their logbooks aren't fat, they're good . Providing they can focus on their job without distraction, and get the kind of assistance that any person new to an aircraft or flight deck position needs, no worries.

So that was my point. Unless someones experience is woefully inadequate, I'm more interested in how easy or difficult the system makes their job. Are they tired because of rostering, and always being asked to do more? Do some of the procedures need to be refined from the first issue? Does anyone listen when you've got a problem, or have an idea to make things work better? I've worked for a few airlines over the years, both seats, training, checking etc, none were ideal, even the one airline could vary a lot over a period of time. Generally the better ones did a bit of naval gazing, actually made changes along the way, and didn't talk about how great they were all the time. But even the well intentioned managers (flying and other) usually found it difficult to do the things they knew they should be doing when the needs of expansion took precedence. And that makes it tough for pilots of any experience to do their best job.

So once again, I'm genuinely curious. From guys who ACTUALLY WORK THERE is everything keeping up with the expansion? Is the job getting tougher? Howz it all going?

Not interested in controversy, just a friendly inquiry.

Oh, and you two have a nice day, y' hear?