PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (Do away with) Seniority
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 09:21
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm open to other opinions (an oxymoron for a pilot !)
That certainly flashed up the faces of several colleagues - and, to tell the truth according to my wife, a mirror

I have worked for three international majors all of which had a seniority system and held a command in two. For good reason I left one just as I was coming up for a command course.
As first officers reached the top of the pile they were given a command course which they would usually pass. There were, regrettably, some Cat 'C' FOs who had been assessed as not suitable for command. They had to make the decision whether to stay with a top outfit as FO or leave and try their chances elsewhere.

I am completely in favour of a seniority system. It is fair, affords confidence, gives a structured career and rings a bell if 'favourites' are promoted out of seniority.

Two of the airlines for which I flew had 'early command' opportunities such as the Cathay freighter route, e.g. command on turboprops or in a subsidiary or at an unpopular base. That isn't 'out of seniority' since anyone can bid. I have known very senior SFOs remain on a senior (i.e. attractive) fleet rather that take their command course on a less desirable operation.

The seniority system can break down a bit in periods of rapid expansion where there is a shortage of suitably FOs within the company but these exceptions need to be carefully monitored and explained to avoid the bad feeling and negative attitude which could be engendered.

You pays your money and takes your chance but I would not wish to work for an outfit which did not have a seniority system in place.