PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin-Your taxi speeds are a JOKE!
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2002, 21:13
TIMMEEEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read alot on this topic as well as excellent factual/technical contributions which leads me to believe that the "fast walking pace" you speak of Bronte is purely a GA thing.
It only typically relates to a single/twin engine piston with props that hang as close to the ground as the stubbies of a football yobbo below his arse crack! (or cricket Yobbo in the case of L-Gold!).

Probably the longest distance in Oz to taxi is about 2 nm (Runway 34L/R in Sydney).
Taxying at 20 kts ( a respectable speed for a jet) will take about 6-8 mins (including turns/average stops/waits etc).

Kaptin M and Snowballs spoke of incidents related to high taxi speeds and the danger of adverse torsional (sideways) loads applied to landing gears when you taxi too fast around a corner.
Sit up there on a 747 and listen to the noise of the nosewheel when turning through a 90 degree taxiway at more than 10 kts groundspeed!
That's just the nosewheel and dont forget the other 4 bogeys (wing and body gears on each side!).

It's uncomfortable for pax,unsafe for the hosties standing up doing safety demo's down the back and downright unprofessional apart from stressing the gears/airframe and heating the brakes unnecessarily!

If a pilot wants to taxi slowly then thats his perogative Bronte.
To call it a joke is over the top and unprofessional in my book.