PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dont think the P-40 was so bad....?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2012, 05:44
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup.

Not to detract from this fine gentleman's achievements but I had a family friend who flew RAAF P40s (77 Sqdn from memory) in Milne Bay against Zeros and he didn't rate the Zero at all. Reckoned you didn't have to hit them THAT hard before they burst into flames. No armour plating made it easy to kill the pilot - even for those who were not that good a shot, to which group he professed to belong.

P40 had a MUCH better roll rate via its excellent ailerons as opposed to the Zero's which needed 2 hands above 200mph and were almost immoveable much past 250mph. When you think about it a minute that is a big deal - if it takes longer to establish an angle of bank it takes longer to start a turn.

He also said the P40 had better pitch authority above 250mph, and could pull LOTS more G, so could out turn a Zero at higher speeds but as speed bled off and you could see the Zero creeping around onto your tail you'd simply roll over into a vertical spiral dive, accelerating in no time at all past 400mph, and leave the Zero miles in your wake...they simply could not follow. He was adamant that as long as you saw the Zero first, or at least in time, they couldn't touch you. He told me the ONLY time he was ever hit by a Zero it was one he hadn't seen...lots if thuds as the Zero's rounds found the back of his armour plate - he whipped the P40 up on a wingtip and heaved back and the Zero just sailed past him wings level. He finished the mission and flew home in a repairable aircraft.

Somewhere on the www is a report comparing the Spitfire to the P40 in mock combat that was done by the RAAF in Darwin around 1942/3 and below about 15000' the P40 was superior in most respects to the Spitfire. Col Pay told me 10+ years ago that the P40 had the best ailerons of any WW2 fighter - much better than his Spitfire/Mustang.

Historians (who would never have seen a P40 up close let alone flown one) have been very unkind to the P40 and built up a myth around the Zero, which, our old family friend reckoned, was a one trick pony.