PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you want to be an airline pilot for China?
Old 17th Mar 2012, 18:55
sorvad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C46r

Absolutely on the money with that post...what some people fail to realise when tempted by the big bucks....whether in this industry, or any other, is that there is an unquantifiable thing called "home" that for a lot of us just cannot be transported to another part of the world...even if you take your loved ones with you, and even if you go and live somewhere nice! much less if you do a long commute away from them. For some...albeit those of us with fairly good jobs already, no amount of extra money or rank can replace that sense of belonging and familiarity, of having family around you, and having longstanding friends that have been with you since the beginning.....kindered spirits and not just those you've been thrown together with because of geography.

VORTEX THING.. at the risk of sounding a bit facetious, I do find your post quite amusing.....to quote

"Yes there are pay issues, language issues, personality and cultural issues. the weather is an issue and disease, health, hygiene"....

.....Bloody hell...combine that with family and home issues and you've pretty much ticked every single box in the 'reasons not to go and work abroad' column!.......Vortex..you are obviously happy with your choice and have made the right one for you and your family, and not JUST for the bucks...What I see is different though, in the company I work for there are some very bitter guys who have pursued money or rank at all costs, only to approach retirement with nowhere to call home, no roots and a couple of divorces under their belt.

For some, being an expat really is a golden ticket..hats of to those for whom thats the case ..for others however there is an eternal longing to return to the life they had before which underlines their very existence, and sometimes for many reasons that is sometimes impossible to fulfill