PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P-A-T technique
Thread: P-A-T technique
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2012, 10:47
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[quoteI get the first bit - but this only seems to cover entering a climb, what about when you level off? and I don't get your "the aircraft follows the movement of your hand", are you talking Effect of controls here or climbing and descending][/quote]

It's actually quite hard to separate effects of conrols from the other lessons, as this is the basis of all flying.

To answer your question,
I didn't give the whole lesson but the basis is to use the stick to control the attitude, and adjust the power to get either climb, descent or level flight at the attitude required. Effects of controls covers this, power is a control. The student needs to learn that there is a relationship between what he does with the flight controls and the engine.
So leveling off I would say "put the aircraft in the cruising attitude, let it accelerate while holding that attitude, then reduce power to cruise power while stopping yaw with the rudder. Ok, are you having to push or pull to hold the attitude? If so, trim out that force as you hold the attitude where you want it"
No decoding required. Except I would say it in French.......
I will accept an approximation to the cruising, climbing, or descending speed, they don't have the instrument scan yet, as long as we are doing what we said we wanted with the rpm about right. I.E blue side up, no yaw or roll, and not going up or down when we said we wanted cruise, and not over red line rpm. The essential thing is to get the student flying without him having to think about what his hands and feet should be doing because they are doing the learning, it's not brain memory it's muscle memory, we are just getting the inputs in the right direction for now.
Do I need to go through what happens to go down?

Climbing, descending and straight and level are another lesson, where we look at doing all the above at different speeds, which means introducing an instrument scan but by then the student should be able to use both hands and his feet to put the aircraft in an appropriate attitude without acronyms and control the changes in yaw, roll, and pitch induced by the whirly thing up front or wherever it is located.

And the aircraft always follows the movement of your hand unless you are spinning it, which comes a little later in the student's progression.