PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big brother is watching................
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2012, 18:58
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looked at from Blighty, no surprise about the initiative, but it does seem a bit premature, or would the excuse be that they are just practising? It will be interesting to see whether it goes away after the big event.

All sorts of rights are being suspended in the name of the Olympics. Small industries are being put at risk, lives disrupted. Woe betide anyone who seriously questions anything done in its name.

I hope it is worth it, but personally I will be keeping well clear.

Gordy asks a good question. I think the answer is that the rules are written so widely that an official can interpret almost any reaction as sufficiently subversive to make trouble for you, and warrant further "investigation".

Try making any comment about pointless, time-wasting, arbitrary, ineffectual security measures at our airports. You will be whisked away and spend a very uncomfortable time so they make their point and preserve their careers.

It is (or should be) all a question of balance, but CT security is the new "health and safety": no one is allowed to question anything done in its name no matter how marginal.

The irony is that we "oppose" terrorism because of its threat to our rights and freedoms like the right to free speech, including the right to complain about stupid rules. Terrorists can achieve their goals in more than one way.

I am just a number..........