PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P-A-T technique
Thread: P-A-T technique
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2012, 13:19
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All these acronyms confuse me, and I've been instructing a while now. How about we give a proper lesson on the ground and er well EXPLAIN the effects of controls? It shouldn't be a memory test, all flying is about is using the controls to place the aircraft in an appropriate attitude to achieve the result you want. Going up requires more power than cruising for any reasonable rate of climb, going down less or none depending on what you are trying to do. In all cases the trim should be used to help maintain the attitude you have set with the stick, the rudder maintains balance, and if there is a rudder trim so much the better. Most light aircraft the attitude change is fairly small from cruising to a descent at the same speed, the student may well need to control the usual tendency to pitch down with a power reduction.

Until they can do all of that with their eyes outside the cockpit there is no point teaching any other exercise, or letting them look at the instruments. This is the absolute basis of all flying, and should not be rushed. Use the natural horizon to show wings level and pitch attitude. Yaw will show as a change of heading despite wings level. Yes, the student has to do two things at a time, making a change to the power setting and controling the aircraft in three axes. Then they trim. If the student can't quite cope then set the power for them while they set the attitude.

Ok, that's what I teach. Acronyms are fine ihmo for checklist items, but this is basic handling and needs to be learned by the muscles, not the brain. Now shoot me down.