PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlantique cadet scheme
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2002, 14:32
Hwel

Talking

I can not agree more with CRX's comments. I joined as a cadet in the late 90's and have now got 3000+ hours with 2000 on turbines and the rest on Daks and 404's. It is undoubtedly hard work compared to the pampered life of major airline but well worth it. If you want to fly (really fly not run a computer) then this is the best airline in europe.
The fugly scheme provides you with a no risk route in to aviation. You don't end up 60,000 in debt to the bank at the end like some of the schemes being put about by Ezy and others where if the airline goes bust (however unlikely) the repo men will be knocking on your parents door to take their dvd player. There are a small number of cadets (usually 4 to a course) so you get plenty of personal tuition and AFT has excellent career instructors both in Flight and ground school. You're not being tought on the other side of the planet by a 19 year old who can't get an airline job himself.
Once on line the flying is varied with current types ranging from the percival prentice through the DC-3/6 to the ATR42 and up to the L188. There are even a couple of biz-jets around if that is really your thing.
The down sides Late nights and early starts often repetative night flights and lots of time away from your family.
Remember the aeorplanes are old which means that you may have to load your own cargo, do a 7.5 hour flight to canada in an Electra at 2AM without a working autopilot in winter and finish it off with a minimas approach using flight instruments that went out with the wright brothers. But IF you can do it then nothing else in your career should cause you any problems.

Good luck I recommend it