PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handswinging?
Thread: Handswinging?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2012, 11:43
CHAIRMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Oz, I guess they are slo-mo shots - very interesting, never seen that stuff before.
Seemed like at the end of the stroke, the young bloke was almost pushing on the prop.
Definitely too many knuckles over the edge as you say, but as close to the prop tip as he can get, which is a good thing. After seeing the shots, bet he's moved the fingers back a bit!
My young bloke does the same kind of start on our tiger - grips the cabane strut - but he's built a bit like an orangutan like yours.
I swing from the rear also, but find better foot balance without reaching back for the strut... Will have to get some slomo shots of our techniques.
Some prop swingers tend to use way too much force than necessary, also leading to an unsure footing. Just getting the prop over the compression stroke is all that's necessary, speed doesn't count.
Mate of mine swings only from the front (no knuckles over the trailing edge of the prop, only fingertips). with another pilot aboard - left hand is behind his back, and action is a bit like bowing to the Queen - that slow. He's been doing it for over 50 years, and still got all his fingers........so it works.
Obviously there are several techniques that work and are safe, just find the right one for you,,,,and get some slomo shots to prove it.

Thanks for the pics, and love the polished cowls - on both aeroplanes