PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Civilian Job
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 19:42
spannermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good words and lots of advice so I will just try to add what I’ve found. I left after 18 years and found my service background invaluable; I basically remained in the same field, albeit without a blue shirt.

What I wanted, what I found and what I was actually expecting are simple. I personally do not subscribe to the lower pay if you want to get going in the civil world, as those from any service are often far ahead of others when it comes to commitment, determination and wanting to do a good job. I have to frequently do final reviews of any new applicants within my organization and am constantly amazed at how poor some resumes that I see can be, so have a good resume, keep the service jargon out and tailor each one as well as a cover letter to each position you apply for. Other good tip as some have suggested, review the company you are applying to.

For myself, my two goals were either higher pay or a step up the ladder with each move and that has been the case; that said a step up does not always mean more responsibility, my next role is going to have less staff and less pressure. Perhaps I have been fortunate, but that came with a huge amount of work when it came to applications. I decided what my min salary would be, so that not only where the immediate family needs taken care of, but there was also a little extra to boot. As I say this took time and so long as your prepared for rejection letters or simply no response at all, no worries. Yes its always easier to get a job if you have one already – no pressure to make ends meet with nothing coming in. I’ve now had 2 jobs since leaving, the first a contract position, very high pay with no long term prospects. It was a stepping stone to my current job and that was why I took it, I am now looking to move on again. As many have already said loyalty is very different and you have to look out for yourself first and foremost.

I would say determine what you are looking for, what you need and aim high, if that’s what you want as you can always come down if required, basically don’t sell yourself short.

Best of luck