PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Civilian Job
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 15:39
El_Presidente

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some very salient points made above, the two I would most hang onto are:

1 - Take time to adjust and do not be surprised if you're left feeling like you've had an arm amputated.

2 - The loyalty issue. Most organisations in civvy street talk about team work and loyalty, but generally just to please the HR dept for the Equal Ops criteria.

I left but stayed in my comfort zone - I joined the police, holding on to the psychological pull of uniform, camaraderie, discipline and authority. It didn't take long to generally learn that the old bill lacks most of what I had just listed. Peers will be scared of you, as you continually prove you have more leadership and decision making skills than they will ever possess...and you will be amazed at the way people will pee on their mates just to get an inch ahead in life...

Be prepared to face the usual 'educated to degree standard' when searching for jobs. Not a problem if you have one but... it never fails to amaze me how many organisations still revert to this staid old recruitment threshold when the job market is over subscribed with graduates - most of which are not relevant - and turn a blind eye to experience in role; or indeed in life. You really do need to clearly identify your key transferable skills and outline to an employer how you can add value to their organisation.

A few examples of my job hunting to date (since 2007):

Small international Logs company - middle management position. Got interviewed but cut as I was deemed too ambitious in looking for advancement in the medium term.

Medium international deployed facilities provider - operations manager position. Got invited to interview, then a day prior I was told position had been filled by a friend of the CEO (friend happened to be retiring RE Major).

Oxfam - Ops Manager. Got screened out at paper sift (not enough humanitarian experience).

Save the Children - Ops manager. Got screened out (same reason as above).

British Red Cross - Emergency Response Unit Logs Offr. Got through to testing event. Bummed out on a mathematics test (sneaky)!!

Overseas agricultural contractor - Ops Manager. Offered the job on the spot. Sadly requires re-location to Australia and that’s not in my long-term plans (this job offer came about through a lot of networking).

Good luck!