PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Civilian Job
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2012, 13:33
Deskex76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Echo just about all of the advice above. Be prepared to be flexible and if you can find your next role whilst still in work, so much the better.

I spent a while "Between jobs" recently after redundancy following 30-odd years' continuous employment (Light blue and civilian). Believe me - it's no fun. Eventually I accepted a year-long temporary contract a long way from home in a niche field (and at a rate below what I had considered to be my bottom line) that I wouldn't have considered had not necessity dictated. Within eight months my employer approached me about staying on in a wider role and on a much-improved permanent deal.

When tailoring your CV to match the role that you are after you might find it helpful to have a look at the potential employer's website(s) to see if you can get an idea of the "House Style" as there can be quite significant differences between organisations in the way in which they use our language. My present employers, for instance, are fans of brevity, bullet-points, PowerPoint and the odd buzz-word (I find that a "Scalable solution" is one that seems often to gain traction...), whilst other employers have favoured the more narrative approach.

As others have observed, there is a (different) World of work outside of the Services. Once you have got over the differences between the two, your military experience and ethos can make a really positive difference to both your own and your employer's futures.

Best of Luck.