PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 36 And my dream has died.
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2012, 08:53
fwjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did my PPL the going rate was around £4.5k, so less than it is now, but in real terms it's no more expensive now. Lesson 1 -it's never going to be as cheap to fly as it is now.

I cleaned aeroplanes and other volunteer duties and instead of taking money, I got people to put in my flying account.

It took me four years, to the day as it happens, and £2k of real money, to get my PPL. £2k over four years isn't that bad a pay-out. Lesson 2 -where there is a will, there's a way.

To get the money to do the Commercial training took quite a bit longer, and there have been lots of ups and downs on the way. I've had three jobs running simultaneously plus other bits and bobs on the side. I still do various things for people to help pay the bills.

Every single flight means something, so if this route doesn't lead me into a flying job in the long term, I won't be bitter or consider myself to have wasted anything. I'm not owed anything by the industry. But at least I'll be there in the mix if something does come up.

Btw I am no spring chicken, being more than twice as old as some of the newbies posting on here.

Final thoughts - if you really want something, you'll get it no matter how many people doomsay it. If you do manage to get it, well you deserve it. If you don't, well at least you had the self-respect to try. And if you didn't think it was worth trying, then you got what you deserved too.

It's not for everyone and there are plenty of sacrifices to make on the way. For those who've made some quite massive sacrifices, the end justifies the means and the sacrifice is worth it. If it isn't worth it, then you shouldn't be doing it. That's not to be rude, it's just saying that maybe you don't want it as much as you think you do, and that's okay. Your priorities are what matter, not anyone else's.