PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P-A-T technique
Thread: P-A-T technique
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 15:19
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- Start of descent: PAT or APT (doesn't make a big difference)
if you do it this way round, two problems, first, if you are doing a glide descent, it takes ages to get the speed back, so Power first, hold attitude, then lower the nose just before the speed gets where you want it, secondly, you physically have to PUSH the nose down, whereas if you bring the power back first, again, secondary effect will tend to lower the nose (yes, I know that my first argument you physically hold the nose up, but only for a second or so.)

Waiting for student to get the nose up before adding power is easier for the student.
Can't really see this myself, you get the nose up, then add power and the nose is trying to come up further because of the power and the student is still having to multitask. Never had a problem (in my 30 odd years of teaching flying)with students getting the power on first , correcting the yaw as it comes on and letting the nose come up with the power, this achieves pretty much
With practice they will be able to pitch up, add power and control yaw all at the same time which is the desired end state for demonstrating competence for this manoever.
straight off and also gets them used to using their feet with power changes.