PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 10:32
WHBM

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pee
Ryanair has been very pleased with pax numbers on Charleroi to Lappeenranta route passenger numbers, but the negotiations with the city of Lappeenranta concerning the marketing co-operation have not progressed fast enough. Due to this reason the company has decided to discontinue the route as of April 17th.

Typical for Ryanair. As I've mentioned before, the city of Lappeenranta sees no need to rise its sponsorship level for travels between Western Europe and Russia.
Pee and myself have discussed Lappeenranta in Finland over the years. However I can't believe that any revenue that the good burghers of that quite small town (which has even lost its feeder flights to Helsinki now) might make could be really significant compared to the revenue from tickets. I also wouldn't have put Charleroi up at the top of likely destinations for those from St Petersburg, just across the border in Russia, to head for. Charleroi, Weeze and Bergamo are a bizarre set of destinations to serve, surely London, Paris, Berlin and Rome are a much more relevant set of points. Most of the Lappeenranta traffic originates from Russia, for whom Brussels has a minimal attraction, and these pax just travel from LPP airport directly to/from the border just down the road, generally not spending anything in the town, or wanting to.