PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 36 And my dream has died.
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2012, 08:43
AndoniP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
midiman

there are loads of different flying jobs out there - not just flying for airlines.

ok i don't really know your circumstances - wife, child, mortgage, full time job etc., so i am working on assumptions here, but it's not over if you don't want it to be. there are so many other opportunities out there. i do understand though, that sometimes you can weigh up all your circumstances and think, nah it won't happen. my wife and i had a baby on new years' day so i have to save up for his future, and i also have a mortgage to pay as well as full time work. so it might seem that that's it, my life is done and i have to stick with it, but i'm still putting a bit away for my flying, no matter what happens and will still look to get in the air whenever possible (weather permitting)

last year i finished my PPL (i'm nearly 38), and am now hours building to start my CPL, as well as currently doing a night qualification. it's a slow process but i'm not in a hurry and i don't have a particular desire to become an airline pilot - i'm under the impression that airlines would prefer to hire younger pilots anyway. once all that is done i'd like to do instructing, and maybe some ferry flying - both opportunities to fly and be paid for the privilege.

i dont know whether you have even started your PPL but i can heartily recommend that you get up in the air and get that licence, because even having that alone is extremely rewarding and is a great achievement. once you have that and fly around the skies, planning flights, visiting other airfields and their cafes, flying abroad, even just chatting to other pilots and instructors, being a member of a flying club, you'll really enjoy it.

if you can spare a bit of money to do your PPL do it, you won't regret it.

Last edited by AndoniP; 9th Mar 2012 at 08:45. Reason: added my age to put in some sort of perspective :)