PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - concerning spinning
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2012, 23:01
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by OK465
You know, I'll respectfully disagree on this. Both deserve appropriate emphasis.

The situation awareness, comfort and confidence derived from experience with oddball flight attitudes and dynamics are certainly worthwhile. I would, at least personally, credit the training of intentional spin entries with having been able to avoid ever entering one inadvertently.

The problem is how you enter a deliberate spin bears no relation to how you are most likely to enter an inadvertent spin.

The place to learn about "odd ball flight attitudes" IMO, is a basic aerobatic course taught by an aerobatic instructor who is going to know way more about flying in the more interesting corners of the flight envelope than your average PPL instructor.

The deliberate spin is an aerobatic manoever so I tell any PPL student if he/she wants to learn about spinning I will be happy to teach them as part of my introduction to aerobatics course.

I got into aerobatics after I got my instructor rating because I was uncomfortable with unusual attitudes. By the third lesson I realized it did not matter if the aircraft was upside down or pointed straight up, or in any other possible attitude, it was still fully controllable. After that I was hooked and went on to get my Aerobatics Instructor rating and I still teach aerobatics

Personally I think every instructor should do at least an introductory aerobatics course.