PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Academy 206 down, Florida
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2012, 18:16
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Gordy.

The bounce is plausible, I just don't get the blades with hub separated and ending up like that. Still together. You've been flying those machines for ages, so you know more about it. What you said is more likely than low G pushover. By the time people do Jetranger transition, they should be careful enough.
The mishaps mentioned earlier that happened in the past, well, there could have been more had BA used R22 as main trainer and not more forgiving S300.

I looked at the report. 6k+ heli time and 1300 206 time? I guess people can get caught out at any level. There were few articles about full downs to grass vs tarmac/concrete. I'd not dare to do full down in R22 to grass, especially little to no wind. I've heard/read of people flipping over machines in muddy etc terrain doing full downs practice, even off airport.

So, to take some advice form Gordy's words, if people end up doing flare too low and too late to arrest the descent rate, then they should rather slide forward bit more than yank back and possibly cut the tail a bit. Even more so in two bladed helicopters. If bouncing anyway, better level with forward motion than on heels or aft cyclic making things worse. Still lots of variables in any auto, though.