PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CABAIR - General discussion for those involved.
Old 8th Mar 2012, 13:20
SpreadEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@G-STRX

I'm not often moved to comment in a thread, but I just wanted to say don't beat yourself up over this. Misery lies that way. Drag your father to the PC if you like.

This wasn't your fault. You made the best choices you could. Oxford have been bust a number of times. Cabair have more recent history. You are told by airlines the training they provide is good and that integrated is preferred - you didn't have a whole lot of options. You did what you could to give yourself a chance of getting a career that you could most likely do well at. The same as all these buggers telling you that you were stupid.

Let me make you feel better. What if you had the license? Finished at Cabair? Then what? I have a license. I finished at Cabair in 2008. I started my training in Jan 2007 when economic crisis wasn't even on the horizon.
I spent all that money, just like you. Told all my friends and family, just like you. Felt embarrassed, hurt and cheated, just like you. Yeah, I got a license. But I have no job. Most people have no jobs after pilot training (some 80%). Almost the only people that work for airlines are those whose parents bought them a job with Ryan Air, Easy jet et al. They are there by virtue of the financial fire power that their parents deployed. Some are talented and deserve it. Some are absolute idiots.

Where would you have gone next? Would you have renewed your IR/medical etc for £1000 a year forever after? Would you have splashed out £27,000 on a TR only to be told you need line training or that they didn't need contractors right now? Would you have spent money doing interviews and sim checks at airlines that don't have any intention of recruiting any of the candidates at that moment, more they just want to keep HR paying for itself? Would you have sent out 100's of CVs and covering letters that never got read? Would you have spent money getting instructor licenses and worked part time for peanuts haemorrhaging more cash as you subsidise your dreadful income? Would you have spent 5 years+ flying ropey aircraft in the back of beyond raking up more debt in the hope someone would note the experience on your CV? - They wouldn't by the way.

You are a statistic. One of an overwhelming majority of people who own a Class 1 medical and will never get a job. Just like me. Just like many of my friends. We all fell at different fences but the result is the same. DNF.

If you can take any positives its that you wasted less time than others, less money than others, less effort than others.

There are hateful people on this forum. Ungrateful youths who spend so much time in the sky that they think they are God; better than you, wiser than you, more deserving than you. And they have no idea how lucky they are nor will they ever. And that's life. No one said it would be fair.