PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice requested
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 18:39
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I understand that probably the best way to achieve this would be to get a crossover onto the fixed wing fleet and serve out my commission until 38, 9 years from now in the RAF when I can take my immediate pension.
First thing to realise is that in civil aviation, timing is all. A couple of months can make an enormous difference; such as making the LHS in 18 months or 6 years; keeping your job or being made redundant; getting a stable base or having to commute for years. I speak from personal experience. The next thing to take on board is that there is no "plan", airlines can turn the tap on and off with startling rapidity; being made redundant and then re-employed within days has happened to many.

If you do not wish to stay in the air force for life then you must try to ensure that you have as much as possible in place to leave when it appears beneficial to do so, that means getting a licence; any licence. Once you have that, you are in a position to leave. If in the meantime you can gain additional qualifications then so much the better. You will then have more options to leave when it best suits you.

The attraction of an immediate pension at the 38 point is undeniable. But make sure that you become financially "savvy". This is essential if you are to properly weigh up the options.

flying as an airline pilot either from Manchester or with a company that would lend itself to returning to south of Manchester where my family will live. I would be happy to work anywhere as long as I could get home for a few days between routes.
Fine, settle your family where they will be most happy but make sure that everyone realises what they may have to put up with if you need to commute. It's not an easy lifestyle, no matter how you do it and you may have to do it for many years. Commuting fits in best with medium\long haul but that's not a type of work that suits everyone. Yes you can do it at 40, cope with it at 50 but do you really want to contemplate doing it at 60? You need to think hard about these things because as you get older the options to change diminish.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I took the plunge and although it was not easy at times, never regretted it. The best bit was gaining control and having more influence over the outcomes. But beware, the wrong call can cost you dear, a mate turned down a job at BCal, went to Danair and jumped ship to Air Europe and as a result had to spend years on contract in all sorts of insalubrious places before eventually managing to get a job with a UK charter operator.

ATB

YS