PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - controllers in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 18:24
ZOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always found familiarisation flights very beneficial and was always made very welcome on all the flight-decks I had the pleasure to travel on. - Especially the 2 gentleman who thought I was a CAA Flight-OPS inspector and were visibly relieved when I said I was ATCO. These trips were also counted as 'duty time' when I first joined ATC.
It was always a pleasure, and very informative, to have pilots 'plugged in' with us on various ATC positions. Always great to welcome people in 'big hats' into the ops-room. Sadly, distraction policy often forbids this today.
We also had many 'pilot-controller forums'. Informal get-togethers at a pub near the airport where new and existing procedures could be discussed and faces put to voices, over a curry or hot-pot supper. This is difficult today as most of the U.K's area and approach-radar controllers now work in locations far-away from where most pilots (commercial or private), are based.
Fortunately where I worked, we also had a hill-walking group which involved both ATCOs, ATSAs and aircrew. Many issues were discussed on the fells of northern England, and the results of these discussions cascaded down, (oops, sorry, management-speak), to other staff.
Sadly, today, accountants, (and others who administer, but are no longer, or, even worse, never have been, at 'the sharp end'), have forgotten, or do not understand the benefits of 'Famil'.
A shame.

Last edited by ZOOKER; 2nd Mar 2012 at 20:18.