PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of TOGA with Flex speeds
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 07:32
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nitpicker330
As I said earlier, we are not TEST PILOTS.
Whow, so now I deserve the title "test pilot" because I dare to set TOGA with the original flex speeds? Thanks, I'm honoured . I can tell you this "procedure" (I wouldn't even call it that) has been "tested" regularly at Sabena and my current employer and many other operators without doubt.
However that being said unless I had a very good reason to get airborne ASAP I would take a moment and re do the numbers.
Nitpicker330 added that sentence to his post, after I had posted my reply #22. After reading his last contributions, I think it's now time to put that link up anyway.

Here's what Wikipedia says about nitpicking: "As nitpicking inherently requires fastidious, meticulous attention to detail, the term has become appropriated to describe the practice of meticulously searching for minor, even trivial errors in detail (often referred to as "nits" as well), and then criticising them"

I suppose that nitpicking shouldn't be used for these replies because that implies that there were indeed trivial errors to be be found. There aren't!! This thread should have ended after my first reply.
If you company has a SOP in place to allow you to select TOGA at the last minute and not FLEX then fine........
Let me turn it around, nitpicker, de facto and others: show me one SOP or give me one good reason why setting TOGA with the original flex speeds would be unsafe! Please refrain from posting if you can't.

If you're in front of me, I would sure hope you'd have the courtesy not to delay my departure while you're doing unnecessary speed recalculations . If the only delay you're creating is your own, then be my guest and nitpick all you want in your cockpit.