PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European International VFR Flight Considerations
Old 1st Mar 2012, 20:01
HighFlyer75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European International VFR Flight Considerations

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on flying VFR between different countries in Europe (specifically Sweden and Estonia). I hold a JAA PPL but as I am primarily based in the USA and the Bahamas I haven't had much of a chance to use it in Europe (I also have an FAA PPL with IR).

I regularly travel to Sweden for work and I am a member for a Swedish flying club but so far any flying I have done has been within Sweden. On my next trip I am hoping to do a flight from Stockholm to Estonia (Kardla and then on to Tallinn). Obviously I plan on chatting to people at the flying club to get some advice from them as I am sure they have been there and done that but I also just want to start doing some research in advance.

The obvious things to me are to read up on the AIP of Sweden (which I am familiar with) and Estonia and to get my hands on some Estonian charts. The thing that I am really not up to speed on is flight plans and flight planning. I use SkyDemon for my flight planning and both Sweden and Estonia are in there so I think that should cover the planning side of things. However, I have never filed an international flight plan in Europe so I have no idea what is involved there.

So, can anybody point me to any good links with some up to date information on flying around Europe in general and/or if anybody has done the trip from Sweden to Estonia before, do you have any advice?

Thanks very much.
HF

Last edited by HighFlyer75; 17th Jul 2012 at 13:58.