PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa cargo plane crash
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2012, 13:48
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass/distribution

I think what I'm getting at, and could have started by saying it is that this aircraft may not be a solid candidate for its mission. There appear to be some razor thin certification numbers, pilots are cautioned to be with their A game on approach, etc. She is phenomenally short coupled, which may address why Machinbird has pointed out its reluctance to de-rotate. Aircraft with a centerline Bogie wear a familiar telltale of "Heavy Landing Prep", though that is not a disqualifier. Are the crew getting "behind" on approach, or is she sluggish in PITCH due the long forward moment, and the short swing of the tail feathers?

I saw one FEDEX downwind for SFO from my perch here in the marina. What an absolutely beautiful a/c. She does, however, have issues.

On short final, working the elevators is not good. Instead of PITCH control, the a/c experiences rapid migration of Center of LIFT, followed by a command to de rotate, which merely increases sink?

I wasn't intending to impugn the Landing Gear, Machinbird, strong is good. Just don't expect them to give it up when you bounce, better yet, don't bounce.

Last edited by Lyman; 1st Mar 2012 at 14:05.