PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA v Fearless Phelan.
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2012, 11:07
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Creamie,
Subject to having a look at the manual to which you refer, as far as I am concerned ( and, I strongly suspect, most insurance companies) that means the cross wind limit is 12 knots.

A lot of GA manuals are a bit of a mess, even some more recent Cessna manuals, allegedly in the GAMA format, illustrate the wide interpretations of the GAMA recommendations. I should imagine that even the most recent editions of a C152 manual are not exactly new.

A later rather gung-ho ( as I was once, until I grew up -- or was it experience - I've got a lot of time in the RHS of a C-152) poster clearly doesn't understand the "new" certification term "maximum demonstrated crosswind". I recommend he has a look at an FAA certification flight test guide for a partucular FAR 23 aircraft --- 'tiz all on the net.

Given the several C-152/172 I have seen flipped on their backs, including one on the taxiway at Rutherford, immediately in front of me, an eyewitness, so to speak, I treat any high wing Cessna with great caution, you might get it on the ground, but then you have to taxi ---- and the aeroplane I was in flying at the time didn't even rock in the gusts ---- as a Bonanza would have behaved.

Tootle pip!!

PS: The latest, AC23-8C doesn't help much, unless you have what has been agreed between the FAA and the manufacturer for the type. As a matter of interest ( or just to confuse you) there is also a minimum maximum demonstrated airspeed that the aircraft (under 6000lb) must achieve.

Last edited by LeadSled; 28th Feb 2012 at 11:36.