PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa cargo plane crash
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2012, 16:41
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gretchenfrage;

Thanks for your input. The discussion I was hoping for and am now seeing was one between professional airline pilots, some of who may have flown the MD11 as I have not.

I am as interested in understanding this airplane as I do the Airbus. I don't wish to get into a push-and-pull regarding types either mainly because questions of complexity are different than questions of stability. The A330 airframe design doesn't have habits which require forgiving but its fbw & level of automation certainly does demand a very high level of understanding and therefore training, just, (as you say), in different areas. To the industry, "training" and even hiring, seem to be areas in which airline CEOs seem to think they can cheapen because "modern airplanes fly themselves", or some such variation on the theme. - another thread!

I have no point of view on the MD11...understanding is not a point of view, but I do have a point of view on the A330 and Airbus because I'd flown them for fifteen years until retirement. I'm very interested in the thoughts of those who have experience on the MD11 and for that reason I do appreciate your posts.

DOVES;

Mi piacere...grazi, (I wish I knew more!). I am hearing similarities with Mariner's post.

Mariner, many thanks for a superb, dispassionate summary. It helps understanding greatly, offering appropriate cautions while respecting the aircraft and the skill of those flying it.

In my reading (both private and here), I sense also that the CofG is a bit further aft than other transports. Coupled with the factors you have described regarding longitudinal inertia etc, that becomes another aspect to be respected.

You mention FDM...has the program helped in terms of addressing these issues, especially for those transitioning to the airplane?

Last edited by PJ2; 26th Feb 2012 at 17:28.