PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa cargo plane crash
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 22:54
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, if we could please re-focus on the airplane and its characteristics...?

Does anyone have the current FCOM "Bounced Landing" procedure and can they reproduce it here? I'm curious about what it requires the crew to do. Is the FCOM response a go-around or does it permit the crew to control the pitching? Are there two responses (either go-around or try to control pitch) depending upon the firmness of the landing? (I ask, because it seems to me that a high bounce in all transport aircraft requires a go-around whereas a smaller bounce, (I realize the Saudi report says this one bounced only 4ft) may be recovered using pitch inputs even if that means freezing the position of the stick until after the second touchdown).

The airplane exhibits behaviours that other aircraft with a more forward CofG do not. I'm curious what the FCOM has to say about this.

The more I think about the MD11, the more I think it is prone to pitch instability in comparison to other similar-sized transports and that even leaving the stick alone "frozen" for a moment in one position may not assist recovery from a bounce, which does lead a pilot into a PIO-like response.

Yet those who fly the aircraft say it is for all intents and purposes, "normal".

For those that fly the airplane, can you compare the control column motions with other types you've flown, once landing flap is selected? Are you "busier"?