PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa cargo plane crash
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 15:38
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sqwak7700;

Re, "I can't believe that 10ft difference in flare height is enough to total an airframe. Most jets only give you a firm landing if you flare a bit late. And if you carry a bit extra speed crossing the threshold, many will give you a greaser. "

Trying to clarify here...I don't think it was a "10ft difference in flare height" that was "enough to total an airframe". From the Saudi Report:

4. The Captain attempted to take control of the aircraft without alerting the First Officer resulting in both flight crews acting simultaneously on the control column.

5. During the first bounce, the Captain made an inappropriate, large nose-down column input that resulted in the second bounce and a hard landing in a flat pitch attitude.

6. The flight crew responded to the bounces by using exaggerated control inputs.

To me this sounds more like PIO than it does a late flare. As others have pointed out, the screenshots from the airport security camera showing the initial touchdown, bounce, nose-high then flat touchdown certainly look like Narita.

I haven't flown the type but from what those who have have observed the airplane may require stricter control of pitch and power but is otherwise normal. A disciplined approach to pitch and power has been mentioned before regarding this design including bounced-landing training. Messing with pitch control after a bounce is, I think, asking for trouble in any airplane, the SOP generally being a go-around but surprise and "focus on the mission" when things are happening rapidly....etc