PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT etiquette - Another Stupid Question
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 13:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, I've heard that also, but I've also seen some controllers get very frustrated at it. Try it at Cranfield sometime and see what sort of earful they give you*.

A small add-on can be helpful, for example...

"Popham Radio, G-ABCD, inbound"

"Brize Zone, G-ABCD, for basic service and zone crossing"

Because without asking anything of them, it gives the controller a heads up about what you're going to be asking for. But even this is somewhat non-standard and I'd only use it if the bandwidth is quiet. If it's busy,

"Farnborough Radar, G-ABCD"

is enough, and no more.

The only exception where I'd give a full message straight off is an emergency call. But in that case, "Mayday - Mayday - Mayday" or "Pan-pan pan-pan pan-pan" takes long enough to give the controller a chance to put down the phone or his coffee mug and pick up his pencil. Plus, anybody inconvenienced by a genuine emergency can jolly well live with it.

G

* N.B. I heard a controller make a brief joke on RT whilst I was teaching at EGTC the other day. A quite unique experience which unsettled me greatly. However, they restored honour at the end of the sortie by bollocking my student for landing a bit too late and fast to turn of at Charlie, so normal grumpiness was properly restored.