PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa cargo plane crash
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 08:06
Vc10Tail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Jet unseasoned FOs

I noticed LH cargo carries a lot of rather junior looking First Officers.Is it for some their first type rating?

For normal flying carying inexperienced FOs as handling pilots shouldn't be an issue.When the maneoure hits the turbo fan!!!!!....these heavy jets become a handful even for the most experienced F.O.s I saw one video IN U tube of an Alitalia MD11 landing in Hong Kong...what looked like a normal stabilized approach suddenly ...like a viper bite..snapped at the co-pilot's hands (and he seemed experienced) and the juggernaut snapped into a dangerous attitude...much to the Captain's chagrin who was left barking like a mad dog!
I have witnessed both LH Cargo and Swiss in Nairobi doing some pretty unstabilizing (to the onlookers eyes ) tango manoeuvres at below 300 feet!I haven't flown these monstrous tri-jets except on simulator (Tristar and DC-10 63).I have noticed in sim that they tend to just want to drop if you let them slide behind the min drag speed point...and without a generous pitch and thrust...you would be doomed