PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways expansion plans - 60/70 expat captains required .
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 16:53
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vc10Tail,

I am afraid we will have to agree to differ. I have failed selections too, but chose to blame myself for under-performance/ lack of preparation, rather than saying "the system isn't fair, I should be given another chance, or even one last chance, or maybe just one more time" !
Being brutally harsh (and life/aviation is sometimes, why should they re-assess you, if someone else can walk in the door & pass 1st time ? try also to see it from their point of view.
I also don't subscribe to your viewpoint that they should "look for solutions to employs its talented and available local cadre", do you wish to be assessed by the same criteria as everyone else (be they crazy old Air Force /NASA tests or something a little more "modern") or do you want them to say "You are from Kenya, take as many attempts as it requires" whilst expats have to pass 1st time.
Anyhow, it is not my personal affair, & probably easiest we agree to differ, but I don't think emphasising "they need pilots, Kenyans are available, they should do whatever is required to enable us to be employed first before they take foreigners" sounds very professional from an aviation point of view.
Most countries employ their own nationals 1st, & this is perfectly normal, asking for the goalposts to be widened to make it possible that isn't cricket.

Edited to say, you have explained to me by P.M. that the "system" is a bit unworkable, & that your main criteria for requesting more attempts is this convoluted regime you have to circumnavigate.
In this I will concur, I wanted to be a pilot , not a performing seal/dolphin, so tell me why exactly I have to balance a ball on the end of my nose & jump through so many hoops ?

Last edited by captplaystation; 22nd Feb 2012 at 17:41.