PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways expansion plans - 60/70 expat captains required .
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 11:58
Vc10Tail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Play Station defending KQ mechanism

No personal desire of mine was advocated but it was meant for all Kenyans.Two attempts just is not fair.No one mentioned there should be ad-infinitum attempts.Many people I know Have sat the tests several times before finally being given a chance.Those people I know fly KQ...so where is the consistency in standards?

AS you mentioned, you can fail any of those tests just out of having a bad day.Provided the demand for pilots is available, supply should not be filtered through bad spirited tampering or restrictions.Some people are dropped at the first stage and others at the final stage.Shouldn't there be a scheme to appreciate previous aptitudes demonstrated by previous passes and exemption made on the retake...after all we are dealing with the same person.Retake of the same tests can lead to enhanced grades or diminished grades compared to previous test sitting.The most important aptitude a pilot can demonstrate is the flying license and records he/she upholds.

I think you missed my points Captn Play station, and they were offered as potential solutions to alleviating existing pilot shortage faced by KQ.Your focus was on if you can not pass the KQ battery tets twice than you are not good enough for KQ.I think that is over the top.It is understandable to some extent that if in re-taking an identical test no progress was shown...and again it just shows that one was not good at taking that particular test...NOT whether they are a competent and safe pilot...which I imagine ought to be the focus by KQ.By all means, for the ab-initio (whom after all KQ is financing their training) throw whatever benchmark is deemed necessary...for competitive reason, I am sure that you will agree.But don't go and judge ab-initio candidates using the same benchmark as for the more experienced ones...that is no level field of play.I am sorry...but please try and see that I am being proactive here.yes it will be nice if this argument might serve my interest,ofcourse, but it sure will divert the desperate strategy of sourcing foreign pilots and help most of other Kenyan Pilots holding a similar grievance.This is a profession that costs a lot to develop (and yes not all of us were bred as ab-initio pilots!), and Kenya Airways has a social obligation to look for solutions to employs its available and talented local cadre before seeking european or other pastures.

Let it rest Captain Play station...KQ itself will come to terms with the reality it faces, sooner rather than later!