PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 09:53
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bearded Wonder

Interesting to see SRB & the Virgin Group launching a complaint against the IAG takeover of bmi. Not unexpected, of course, but I would have thought they have left it too late?

Why didn't they come in earlier & make an offer for bmi if they were that worried at the loss of competition between LHR & Scotland?

The comments I saw the other day indicated that Virgin would fly domestics between LHR & Scotland to feed into their long-haul network. In principal all well & good, but if that didn't work for bmi, not sure it would be any better for a Virgin 320?

Anyway, there is supposed to be an 'exclusive' interview with Sir Richard in the local press tomorrow. If nothing else, will be interesting to see what he has got to say.

I would have thought that Virgin would do - eventually - what IAG intend to do with bmi's LHR slots...namely, have BA fly to new long-haul destinations, & beef up existing growing long-haul markets.

Don't get me wrong, competition is always good & I do think, like others, that fares will jump as soon as BA has the monpoly on the LHR route again. At some point soon, bmi's LHR offering from ABZ will be dropped. But Virgin are far too late in their objections.