PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career change possible?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2002, 15:25
davesingleton

Location: Treeton, Rotherham, South Yorkshire (Gods country).
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Norman2, although I am only 28 and (with genuine respect) have more time on my side than yourself, I too have a bit of an issue with the eyesight side of things. I recently saw my optician and showed them the standards that are acceptable for a Class 1 medical and they did say that I should be O.K.

However, I am apprehensive about paying £400 pounds for a medical but at least by doing this I will have a definitive answer as to whether or not it would be worth my while to invest in the extra training.

If I remember correctly you do not have at present a Class 1 medical certificate. If you were to take one (Class 1) and pass, then you really would have a decision to make. If you don't because of your eyesight (which unfortunately is unlikely to improve) then at least you know now to look elsewhere.

If you do pass the Class 1, say for example you had laser surgery and the CAA/JAA were O.K. with that, presuming your wife and kids were backing you then why not go for it? It sounds to me like with your background in I.T. you would have something to fall back on if a career in Aviation did not work out. If you can, go for it! You won't get there if you don't, that is certain.

I know that the people above are giving you their honest views as to what you would be better off doing, some of the facts which you really must take into consideration, but whatever path you choose to follow may I wish you the best of luck. I Hope you find what it is you are looking for.

All the best.

Last edited by davesingleton; 1st Dec 2002 at 15:51.