PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career change possible?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2002, 14:49
Norman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a class 2 medical.

What I was saying is that I enquired about a class 1 some years ago and was told by the CAA that my eyesight was out of range.

Now the JAA rules mean that it is in range - strangely enough my eyes are exactly the same, but of course I have lost 10 years.

The IT contract market is pretty dead at present, due to the economic situation plus the fact that the Government has both opened the door to foreign IT workers and failed to stop offshore outsourcing, so our loss is India's gain.

It will be interesting to see how the ageist recruitment policies of Easyjet (you're past it at 26!) and others will be affected by the forthcoming EU regulations which will make it illegal (and not before time) in around 2006.

For anyone in their 20's in IT - I would recommend trying to work freelance, avoid having dependants and certainly to change to a more rewarding career while you can - or else just stash the money away and retire to somewhere sunny ASAP.

Looks like I will just have to look forward to my final salary pension and perhaps some instructing after early retirement.

Last edited by Norman2; 1st Dec 2002 at 15:02.