PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Crewman Leaders
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 02:32
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaders - One wing or two.

This discussion seems to have some who pre-suppose that only those with a Commission can lead. In any particular field of endeavour the best "tradesman" may not be the best to lead. I know any number of people who were expert in their field but who could never be given the responsibility of "Leadership" and some were commissioned and some were not. I have never fathomed why a pilot or navigator should have to hold a commission whilst the flight engineer and loadmaster could not. That said, not everyone seeks to be commissioned. In my case when it was suggested that I might accept a commission, which would necessitate going off flying and becoming an Engineering Officer, I politely declined. By dint of being a military service we all understand that the rank structure dictates that we follow the leader. Sometimes we do so with reservations, sometimes we do so with complete trust and confidence. Some of us even had the temerity to voice our concern when our "Leader" was seen to be putting our backside in undue peril. It is all water under the bridge for me but I still believe there is no good reason for the system which is in place.