PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Crewman Leaders
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2012, 19:30
isaneng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect most of us are agreed that there is no requirement for a commissioned officer to run a squadron section, certainly not when based on numbers and the routine admin involved. As for representation, the involvement at squadron level has, (purely in my personal experience), been more based on ability/character/personality than rank. Whilst I may be an interloper from another NCA trade, the basic requirements remain the same. However the SO3 level involvement is surely a necessary stepping stone for promotion, and it is the more senior officers that will then have the duty to represent the trade at PMA and to fight the case for numbers, pay banding etc etc. By the nature of their normal duties, MAcr tend to be limited in their variety of work experience. I mean this with no disrespect, but changing aircraft type or the odd O.O.A detachment does not gain the exposure to 'bigger picture' that tends to be available to commissioned posts. As the only mainstream NCA trade with an ongoing long term role, I would have thought that the ALM/Crewman fraternity would seek to nurture the (infrequent) commissioning opportunities that are open to them. Now as for choosing suitable candidates.............