PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Crewman Leaders
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2012, 10:40
Roger the cabin boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of good comments here amongst the usual dross - I was particularly interested in the RAAF experience.

There are several commissioned ALMs at Odiham/Benson who have done quite well over the years - I think the COS at Benson and an Acting sqn Boss at Odiham are Loadies, so they can't all be bad. That said, I have had some shocking Crewman Ldrs, but not all and not for a long time.

Empowered Masters was always a crock. But I don't think the blame for the outcome of the AASS in 02/03 is entirely at the feet of the Officers - I know that at least one MAcr on that study had made it his mission to chin off ALM Ldrs - not sure why, although I could guess.

The comment about the 2-winged master race is entirely correct; we will always answer to them, and quite rightly so I suppose. But that doesn't mean that there are not dozens of guys and gals in the NCA ranks who would make excellent officers at SO3, SO2 and SO1 level. Not sure if they could/should/want to progress further mind. But I believe that the option should be there. How many good guys have we "lost" to Flt Ops, Admin Ed, Supply etc over the years?