PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career change possible?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2002, 21:10
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might try looking back over past threads in this forum.

There is usually someone in a similar situation to yourself asking the same question every couple of months.

Many people will encourage you to go for it. I (when I'm about) tend to be the lone voice sugesting that it probably isn't a good idea.

Of course, it all depends on individual circumstances. Without going into details, it is certainly possible that you could get qualified and get a commercial job, but your age counts against you in 2 areas:

1. Your experience vs age ratio.
2. The time you've got to earn back your investment.

50 K may seem like a lot, but by the time you've got qualified, lost earnings for the time your training AND however long it takes you to get a job (an open ended proposition), you could easily find yourself in a position experienced by many other wannabees, namely broke and jobless, a couple of years down the road.

You should try and analyse exactly WHY you think becoming a professional pilot is something you want to do. Is it because of:

1.) Earning Potential.
2.) You 'just have to fly'.
3.) The lifestyle you think is associated with Flying.
4.) You want a career change.
5.) etc, etc.

You've only got to read the other forums on this site to see how badly the professional pilot community feels it is treated by the employers. I strongly advise that you are very clear about what you are buying into!

Basically, I don't think commercial aviation is to be recommended as a career. Nevertheless, I accept that for some people reason 2 comes into play.

If you're suffering terminal boredom, how about a career change within IT. Maybe you need a new employer rather than a new career.

CPB