PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Type Rating Scheme
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2002, 20:18
tonyblair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hey guys, am I missing something here?

I’ve been looking at their website & this is how I read it.

They used to only take direct entrants with >1500 hours, with the exception of a few via the CTC ATP scheme

Now there are 4 categories of entrant:

>1500 hours, ATPL, type rated or non-type rated - Direct Entrant – gets the full SFO or Capt salary from the start

>500 <1500 hours, fATPL, non-type rated – Sponsored Type Rating – direct entry salary less £5,000 pa for 5 years then revert to direct entry salary

<500 hrs, fATPL, non-type rated – CTC ATP scheme – pay £6K towards training costs, 8 months deferred direct entry FO salary

0-few hours, no CPL – Sponsored Cadet Scheme – direct entry salary less £12,000 for 7 years

It seems to me that the original channels are still open, but now there is a route for everyone. The more experience you bring with you, the better your pay. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. Unfortunately, I’m at the bottom of the pile. But I accept that I have less to offer easy than a direct entrant! I also accept that it’s going to cost them a packet to train me.

The sponsored type rating scheme seems a good deal to me; you’re only paying for your own type rating if you break your own bond. And all this talk about it being an expensive type rating ‘because the going rate is £15K seems to miss the point: you look at what is included – it’s quite a lot more than a normal type rating I think. And do you normally get living expenses in a £15K rating? If you fail it, do you get most of your money back? I doubt it. You’re not bringing the same experience to the airline that a direct entrant is, so you are going to be paid less. You don’t need any money to pay for your rating & if you stick with easyJet they’ll pay off the bank’s money which was used to pay for it.

I’m very new to this industry & I accept I have a huge amount to learn. I have to say though that there are a lot of people about who seem to think that they are owed a living.

Seems different to me; the more you have to offer an employer, you more you can expect in return. Simple market forces.

Less than 1,500 hours = not a lot of experience and probably none on jets. More experience than I have, but then I don’t expect as much from an employer as someone who is a year or so into their career. Let’s face it, that’s all we are talking about.