PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 15th Feb 2012, 15:22
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated does not produce better pilots, but it does produce more employed pilots. Why? Discussion between FTO and a carrier

Carrier: you want us to do what???
FTO: We want you to sign an exclusivity only taking our students.
Carrier: Why would we do such a thing?
FTO: Because we produce a known product and it does the job, we'll screen your candidates on the basis of your criteria and present the good ones for interview with a shiny report on how brilliant they are....
Carrier: Err sorry we can hire our own people thanks.
FTO: We're not finished, we also offer Type Ratings
Carrier: We know and they're really expensive
FTO: We'll make them a little cheaper
Carrier: Yes that's brilliant but not really enough for us to exclusively hire from you.
FTO: Still not finished
Carrier: Really?
FTO: No, we can also make it profitable exercise, because these idiots are so keen to be pilots any way they can they will actually pay YOU money to work for you, we'll call it a type rating but what we'll actually do is fiddle it round so that they cover the costs of some of your other training, you wont need to employ them until they've actually passed.
Carrier: Seems a bit dodgy to me, not sure I like it but the accountant sitting next to me has started humping my leg...
FTO Still not finished, we'll make it so the tax falls in your favour, so not only will you not have to actually pay any of the poor sods you'll gain about £10k for each person through. Then you can offer them ****ty Ts & Cs so that if they don't meet your needs after 6 months you can say bye bye at almost no cost to yourself.
Carrier: So basically what you're saying is we treat them badly for 6 months on a 6 month contract, it costs us almost nothing and only at the end of 6 months do we need to decide if we hire them?
FTO: Yes
Carrier: Honestly I don't feel comfortable with this, the accountant has just left some gentlemans relish on me, I need to clean this off, let me think about it <leaves>
Accountant: Quick let's sign it.