PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Type Rating Scheme
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2002, 07:56
foghorn
I say there boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seemed like a fabulous scheme for self-improvers, until they moved the bar higher out of reach of many of us with the magic requirement:

Do you have multi crew experience with an European transport
company?
Now this hasn't been posted to their website yet, but it is there black and white in their e-mail.

Not only does this rule out most instructing self-improvers, but it also rules out many people who have gone overseas to gain experience, and those who have come from outside Europe with multi-crew experience under their belt. So Easyjet's 'generous' scheme becomes significantly less so. Sigh. It seemed too good to be true.

Just how many people are there that fit into this category at the moment? Not too many I would venture - I'd expect that most people currently employed in European airlines have >1,500 hours, plus there can't be too many people with < 1,500 hours + European MPA experience who are currently unemployed?

Hopefully the requirements will be lowered when they don't get the response that they were expecting.

And before anyone starts on the 'do your apprenticeship' tack, I'm well aware of this, but with the airlines that operate turboprops gradually moving to RJ fleets, slimming down due to low-cost Jet operator competition, or being effectively closed to UK folks (KLM springs to mind), the options for serving one's 'apprenticeship' in a Turboprop airline are narrowing all the time.

Just how does a self-improver get on the first rung of the career ladder in the UK?