PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA strikes again - with video evidence
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2012, 20:33
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't think anyone is too concerned with detection or prosecution of offences Walls, we all agree that there is a cowboy element that needs removing from time to time. There is also criminality, for example, a former airline pilot suggested to me the other day, in apparent seriousness, that the way to keep maintenance costs down was to record one hour flown for every Two on the basis that maintenance schedules are too conservative.

What I think concerns me, even though I've never had a run in with CASA and don't intend to, is that CASA does not appear to be too particular about actual evidence of wrongdoing when it gets an idea into its head, it would appear that it then tries to club the victim senseless via legal stratagems and finally gelds them with a very blunt and rusty knife.

There is apparently ample evidence that such behaviour is ongoing and it worries me because the outcome is potentially a criminal conviction.

To put that another way, I have a magistrate and now a (probationary) Constable in the family and the procedures they have to apply to the detection and punishment of malefactors makes CASA look like a Neanderthal. Just ask Mr. Aroa, he apparently tells one CASA bloke to piss off and the next minute he has three of them perjuring themselves by stating he was doing illegal maintenance on an aeroplane, followed by prosecution. Don't you agree that this isn't a good look? Aren't we all striving for safe outcomes? Apparently not.