PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADF v. GPS
Thread: ADF v. GPS
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2012, 21:05
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just because you are talent limited doesn't mean the rest of us are.

I have over 8000 instrument approaches how may do you have?

There is no legal requirement for G reg aircraft to have a panel mounted GPS to do what I am suggesting.

There are actually a number of ways you could do it. One of which is to fly a 7 DME arc (which is also a piece of piss). Turn in to establish with 5 deg to turn in to runway heading.

Or you could point it at the field and then with 7 miles to run take a 45deg wind adjusted heading then turn to intercept at 6 miles.

The actual point you should be asking is if I am above MSA when I am doing this. If I am it really doesn't matter what I do if so cleared. If I am under MSA I really am quite silly to attempt to do it.

If you give me the runway QDM I can give you the heading if you really want.

But to be honest we need to do this calc anyway so that we can work out our min distance to run to make sure we arn't going to get hot and high.

We are also working out our decent profile as well so we get continuos decent profile all at the same time. Some have boxes of tricks to do it, some of us don't have that so do it in our heads. The reason why I sometimes do a in the head job is because its a pain in the arse getting the centerfix into the gps. It really isn't a special ability of mine, an old boy taught me how to do it years ago. And I think he got taught how to do it when he was flying Shackletons.

Last edited by mad_jock; 11th Feb 2012 at 21:16.